Tuesday, September 29, 2009

4 days before take off!

My mother is very excited by this disposable clothes idea. She gathered all my Dad's oldest undershirts and told him after wearing them, toss them. I imagine she even took some out of the rag pile to find enough to give him. I still can't get over the picture of disposable clothes self destructing after a certain number of hours after wearing. So there will now be even more room in Dad's suitcase for the Scotch he will buy.
My sister is already stressing about doing laundry. She will only be there a week, but isn't sure she even has enough underwear for one week. I said, "what? do you do laundry every day?" She answered with a big "Of course!". Well... that is a new one for me. I am lucky to do laundry once a week.
Yesterday, I went to Whole Foods at lunch time to buy some granola bars in case Dad gets hungry between meals. My work friend, Dora, told me I was a mean daughter. Are you kidding me? I am taking him to Scotland, what is "mean" about that. She demanded to know why I didn't buy something more appetizing than granola bars. What is wrong granola bars, I ask you?????

Well... even though I don't feel as if it is wrong to give my father a healthful snack, I decided to buy some organic dark chocolate and some cheese (It is processed enough that it won't go bad being in a suitcase for a few hours.) BUT I will still offer up the granola bars first! Why wouldn't my Dad want to be healthy and eat healthful foods?

I got an email from the driver, Mike. He finalized some things for us, and told me he would be at the Glasgow airport waiting for us with a sign so he doesn't miss us. How could he miss us? I think he shouldn't bring the sign and try to pick us out. I know what he looks like from his website.
I remember when I was travelling around England and Scotland for a couple of weeks visiting family in the early 80s. I stopped at the home of my Dad's cousin, May. She asked me if I would be visiting cousin Ivor McKinnon. I was totally confused and thought maybe I had misheard her (Scottish accents can sound like another language). I had never heard of cousin Ivor. She got him on the phone and he told me he would love to have me visit if I wanted. I said "sure why not?"
He lived near Cambridge in southeast England. I didn't know what he looked like and as far as I knew he had never seen me. I got off the train, and I was looking around, and this small man with the biggest grin on his face came running over to me. He said he would have known me anywhere. (he said I looked just like my father.... well my mother's father always said I looked just like him... I think I look like me!) Anyway, he came up to my shoulder (remember my father is 6'1"). He was so excited to see me, and we became instant friends. The first day we sat having tee with his lovely wife, Peggy and he said to her. "Oh I wish I could see Elizabeth's father's face when she tells him that she is staying with me... oh BOY!" I panicked for a moment wondering why I had never heard of him and if Dad would be upset.
Turns out they had a small falling out, but were perfectly happy to be reunited and stayed in constant touch until his death about 10 years ago.
Anyway, he told me he recognized me because I looked so American!
Still packing... but have to go to the dentist tonight for 2 fillings... I have British teeth.
Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment