Saturday, October 10, 2009

After tasting at Abelour.

We finished our tasting at Abelour and drove back to the witch's den. Dad went to his room to relax. Mary and I decided to walk around town with Andrew. We found out that everything closes around 4:30-5pm. Mary bought some wine and I bought some camera batteries.
We then walked on a little walking path that took us to the Spey river, then back through the pine forest to cousin Mary's house.
Then Mary and I had to rush back to change for dinner and to get dad ready. This is the night that we celebrate his birthday. (surprise for him). Moyra ordered a cab (van to take us all there). It came and the driver took a look at my Dad, and got his stool to help dad up and told day not to break it! I laughed and Mary hit me. BUT my dad is heavy.
We got to the restaurant which is great. (surprised we made it as the driver was a little maniacal on the roads.
I loved the restaurant. It was casual and unpretentious and used local fresh foods. They made their own bread that was so good that I had too much before dinner.
Here is their blurb:
Welcome to Anderson's Restaurant at Boat of Garten, located in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park. Whether you've something to celebrate, are at the end of a hard day's walking in the hills, or simply fancy a break from cooking at home, it is our wish at Anderson's that you all feel welcome. Forget pretence, the atmosphere here is relaxed and informal, so sit back, switch off, and savour the pleasure of great food and drink.
At Anderson's we are committed to using local Scottish produce when it is in season, so needless to say, our menu changes each month, along with our daily specials. Each dish is lovingly prepared and bought together in such a way as to bring out the very best of truly great, fresh ingredients. Although our menu is creative, our aim is simple, to present you with food that we are confident you will enjoy, and that tastes fantastic.


We walked in and Dad was very surprised to have the hostess take us to the table with Balloons and birthday banners. Then Mary and I gave him a couple of gifts. A hat and boxer shorts that said "Bloody hell, I am 80". I think she and I liked it more than he did, but it was still a good idea.
We had a fun dinner with laughter and good food and good wine (yes... eating and drinking again.. I can't fit into my clothes.)
The taxi picked us up and we dropped off Dad and then Mary, then Andrew, Moyra, Mary, Harriet and I went to the local pub which was full of characters. We were happy to have the code for the door at the B&B so we didn't have a curfew. Andrew walked us back.
I was very tired and fell asleep quickly because there was no internet access to blog. A good night for all... The air was crisp and cool and a breeze was getting stronger. We heard someone on the road talking about snow in the mountains already.
Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment