Monday, October 12, 2009

Sunday....
I got Mary up at 4:50, so she would be ready to meet Mike at 5:30 to take her to the airport. I went with her. The B&B was terrific and gave us food for breakfast in our fridge the night before. We got to the airport and Mary answered the security questions correctly but couldn't remember where she was staying last. HUH?
We made sure she got through security. Then Mike took me through an empty Edinburgh on a little (cold and windy) tour. It was fun to drive through the city early on a Sunday morning and see the castle. Then we drove on the coast that goes east. It was beautiful. I would love to buy a house there.
We ended up in North Berwick. (I think that is the name of the town, I will have to double check on the map... remember i have a sieve brain).
I wanted to see Puffins. I begged Mike, but he said he was a good tour guide, but couldn't change the migration of the Puffins who go to sea late September. I saw just lovely seaside and big houses and farmland with sheep and cows and horses. (how unusual). I looked through Mike's binoculors to the island off the coast to see the Gannets.
We drove for quite a long time, and the honest truth is that I was falling asleep a lot of the time. No breakfast tea and getting up early took its toll.
I got back around 11:45, and at noon, Dad and I set out to find the restaurant, Doll's House, where we met up with May and Wilma. May is Dad's first cousin on his mother's side. She was a McKinnon. She is very small. I am always surprised at my Dad's size compared to his famly. Of course, Dad is very fat. At dinner later we saw a fat guy and Dad said "at least I don't look like him." I said, "well you do". He looked quite surprised and said "really?" I told him yes.

Anway, Wilma is her daughter who is my age. (my second cousin). Bill, May's husband, died last year and in the meantime May has had a heart attack and the crummy health system here refuses to do the necessary operation to make her well. May doesn't have the money to go private, so it is just a matter of time watching her die knowing that a simple heart operation could save her. Side note: Jean Dundas also needs a necessary simple operation and can't go private. The doctors put her on a waiting list with a whole lot of conditions. She will be 10 years older before they consider her. (she is 83 already). Another side note: Mary MacMath's doctor explained what see needed to get better, but again is on a list that will exceed her life span. I am sorry for people here with medical problems and for once listen to my Dad about how our country will suffer with the new health plan as it stands. At least Britain has a private option. We wouldn't.

Okay enough of that. Where was I???
Oh at the Doll's house for lunch. (yes, still eating). May has a cane and can hardly breathe, but the funny thing is that she looks great. Sadly for Wilma, May relies totally on Wilma. There is no other family. We had a great lunch. Scottish food has changed greatly in the past 10 years. The wine list is horrible. I did have wine at lunch! OH bad me.

Then we went to Wilma's house. She lives in St. Andrews. I told them I needed a walk, so Wilma, the dog and I went for a walk. It was great connecting with another cousin. She is very different from Moyra and Andrew, but still we still had no problem talking and sharing.

After a late tea with May and Wilma, we went back to the hotel to get ready for our next meal! Yes I have grown 3 sizes.
We walked to Playfairs pub and had pub food. It was great.. even has tarten wallpaper. We had scotch, too. We sat next to some funny Englishmen. Dad is very outgoing and talks to anyone... unfortunately for me.. he repeats himself. Though I did learn that when he was in the service, he worked with the Australian army. They were very nice to him.
We walked back to the hotel. I think Stan felt sorry for me because it was still early and I couldn't go out to the pubs. He let me see their collection of CDs. I watched Liam Neeson in Taken. It was my type of movie.
The end!

1 comment: