Sunday, October 11, 2009

Saturday:

Mary and I got up and had a small walk before breakfast. I think St. Andrews looks better in some clouds, but it was raining this morning. We walked to the ruins and around the deserted streets. Then we had breakfast. After breakfast we did the rest of our shopping and then rushed back to get ready to go see Jean Dundas.

Jean is an old friend of Dad's. She told me that as a child, my dad was very quiet. He was taught that "little boys should be seen not heard". He whispered as he played with toys, and stopped playing at all when an adult came in the room. He grew up with strict school teacher aunties. He talked about how he got rapped on his knuckles with a wooden spoon when he had bad manners. It reminded me that he hadn't commented on my table manners since we have been here. Last time we were here, he was still kicking me under the table as I wondered what I had done.

We drove to Kirriemuir, the birthplace of JM Barrie to pick up Jean. She has a nice old house. Her husband was a lawyer in town, and bought the house when there were no other houses around.
She took us to a lunch place called Tavern. It was actually pretty good.... eating again and again. The owner came out to talk to us. Dad did his usual thing about how he mispronounced Islay calling it EYELEE instead of EYELA. The owner said that he thinks that people say EYELEE Whiskeys from EYELA. It sounds confusing to me, but I believed him.
After lunch we went to Glamis castle the preferred home of the Queen Mother. Jean LOVES this place. We didn't tour the castle, but drove around the grounds. It is very beautiful. It was funny to hear Jean competing with Mike about information about the area. After that we drove through Kirriemuir and past JM Barrie's birth home. Jean told us about some duke who was afflicted with the drink. We figured that meant a drunk. She said there were other expressions... "he had drink taken" and "Weel a wah"

That reminds me that when we went to Edradour distillery, we were in the gift shop and an older woman working there (with bad Scottish teeth), asked Dad if he needed help finding a good whiskey. He said "no, I just can't take any more". He meant in his suitcase, but the woman thought he meant he had already had too much to drink.

We left Kirriemuir to go back to St. Andrew's for dinner. Dad was obsessed about getting a banana and some Strathmore water and a newspaper. Mary and I went out.. we couldn't find any Strathmore still water, and then spent 20 minutes in the checkout line... and they told us we were in the wrong lane to buy bananas. Mary was getting grouchy, so I just said forget it. I told Dad to eat potatoes for his potassium and to have another scotch.

We ate at the Russel hotel. It was quite good and easy to walk to. He had a Scotch. (and wine.. Pouilly Fume).

Mary and I came back and I watched while she stuffed all her stuff into her suitcase. We figured we would take a shower in the morning. (We had to get up at 4:50 as Mike was coming at 5:30 to pick us up to take Mary to the airport). Well... at 4:50, only cold water comes out of the taps. It was a cold start to the morning.
The B&B hosts gave us bagels and fruit and orange juice that night to have in the morning. They are WONDERFUL!
They also told me they would knock on Dad's door in the morning to wake him up for Breakfast.
Good night for that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment