Monday, October 5, 2009

In a storm

I woke up at 2am with a big wind and rain storm howling outside. I can't go back to sleep, so it is time to write a little about Monday and tasting.
Our driver was scheduled to pick us up at 9:30am Monday to be at Bowmore at 10. Mary and I woke up, took a quick walk. It was cold, but felt good to be in the country. I didn't bring my camera.... silly me. Well, I remembered about 5 minuted into the walk, but Mary wouldn't let me go back.
The first thing we saw besides the sunset rising over the sea was a farmer lifting up a sheep as if it were only 10 pounds. It had gotten stuck and had to be lifted over the fence. These farmers are strong! We walked down the road a bit and enjoyed the fresh air and farm & sea smells.
We were back in time to wake my Dad up almost 2 hours before Mike's arrival. We had a nice breakfast of fresh fruit, cereals, eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatoes and mushrooms. Well... we didn't eat all of that. (Dad at most of it though). He was in a good mood. Then when Mike showed up, Dad wasn't ready. So waited and Mike told me that Mary and I were spotted by the neighbors this morning. He is staying down the road and the owners saw us and figured we were the crazy Americans he was driving.
Dad finally emerged from his room, but was grumpy because he couldn't find something he needed to get money from his Scottish bank account. We finally got Dad in the car, calmed down. Mike is a saint and convinced dad (as we hadn't been able to do), that the bank people on the island were friendly and smart and would help him.
Off we went to Bowmore at breakneck speeds. Mary was gulping and gasping at each corner. Remember, most of these roads are one lane with turnouts every so often. She didn't complain because she knew we were late. I was glad that I took a ginger pill (for car sickness).
We arrived at Bowmore and were in time for the tour... well... they waited for us. Mary and I looked at the situation and decided that Dad couldn't manage the stairs and the walking on this one and he went upstairs to a room overlooking the sea with comfy chairs and a video about Bowmore. They gave him a dram of the 12 year old and he was quite happy.
Mary, Mike and I learned about how Bowmore does their whiskey. They are actually one of only 3 who do their own barley malting. It was interesting, but the girl giving the tour had the most obnoxious voice and seemed to be annoyed when you asked a question in the middle of her memorized speech. BUT it was informative.
Afterwards we went to the comfy room and sat with Dad drinking a dram. Mary was a trouper and her face didn't contort as much as I thought when she was sipping. We made her add a little water and she was fine.
Then we rushed off to Kilchomen (I hope I am spelling that right... it is dark and I can't find my notes). It is the youngest distillery on Islay. (Bowmore is the oldest). They were small and relaxed and we got our own private tour. It is small and located on a farm and all the employees take part in all the jobs. They also malt their own barley. Dad was able to do this tour and he was so happy. We ate lunch their which was quite good. AND when Mary took a sip of this one, she actually said "this is good!"
NOW, back in the car... Dad started stressing again about the bank. We drove to the bank and went in and the banker couldn't have been more pleasant. Her name was Rosemary. Her husband is the farmer that Mary and I saw early in the morning. Small world... Well.. not really as I mentioned Islay (though big) only has 3 thousand people. We got Dad his money, and still had a little time before going to Caol Ila so I asked if we could see the Round Church in town. It is very picturesque at the top of Main street in Bowmore. It was built round so that the devil couldn't lurk or hide in any corners.

I will have to finish tomorrow. I am needing sleep and we have to get up soon to wake up Dad. We can't be late as we have to catch a ferry at 9am to Oban. (in the wind and the rain). Fun Fun Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment