Wednesday, October 14, 2009

End of Monday and Tuesday

Dad and I returned to the B&B around 5:30. Dinner reservations for dinner were at 6:30 at the Seafood Restaurant. It was just enough time to change and pack up my suitcase to give to Stan to take downstairs for me. He is strong. He also didn't want me struggling in the dark at 5:15 in the morning (and waking up his other guests).
With that settled, off we went to the restaurant (on foot) which is further than the other ones. As we were turning the corner onto a street, Dad slipped, grabbed onto me and I went smashing into big plastic trash bins. He was yelling at me that he was going to fall all the way down, but I was about to fall as well (he was hanging onto my arm). He was almost on the ground anyway, but I gathered all the strength I could and helped him up just balancing on one leg and using the arm he was holding. Let me tell you, he is HEAVY! Oh well. We were okay. I do have a couple of bruises, but other than that no damage. I will go to the chiropractor when I return. At least it set his resolve to get an operation for his hip soon.

We made it to the restaurant with no other incident. It is all windows and we got a table looking over the water/beach. This was a fancy place and the first time that we had a meal that wasn't' piles and piles of food. The meal was excellent except they added ham squares to my fish dish. I almost returned it, but decided I just would put it on the side and not make a fuss. I ended the meal with a plate of Scottish cheese and a dram of Balvenie 15 year old. The cheese plate included a cheese I had never heard of. It is called Criffel. It is close to a Scottish Brie. Dad also had a cheese plate and some earl grey tea which he usually hates, but this one was more aromatic than usual. ?????
We toasted Grandmother McMath because our trip was financed by the little money she left him when she died.
We walked back in the rain with no problems.

I stayed up a bit, and then tried to sleep because I had to wake up Dad at 4:40. He needed time to pack, dress and the fruit that Stan left for him in the fridge. I woke up at 3:30 and didn't go back to sleep. I will sleep in PA.
We were in the car by 5:25 and true to form Dad started talking to Mike. He told Mike stories about his army days. I didn't know that Dad peeled potatoes and I didn't know he worked in the kitchen baking bread and rolls for the officers. No wonder he still likes to make bread and croissants. I guess I should have listened carefully to his stories in the past.... but the honest truth is he is usually lecturing the state of the world and raising his blood pressure.

He also talked more about his Dad, when we were with Fred. After being in the army, my grandfather was asked to investigate into embezzling and black market rings within the ranks. One day they found him run over and over and over. No one knew what happened. Dad was only 11... sad.

We arrived at the airport and immediately Dad had to pop into the handicapped toilet. We finally got checked in, got a wheel chair and said good bye to Mike. Dad just loves first class, and of course we were able to get on the plane first.
More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment