Thursday, October 8, 2009

Did I mention that when we got back Monday night from the pub that we sat with the owners and had a wee nip of some Scotch? I think so, but didn't mention what we drank. It was good… Buchannans 12 year old. Ronnie also let me try the Welsh scotch.

The wind and the rain howled all night. I couldn’t sleep much Monday night. When I finally went to sleep, I had nightmares which woke Mary up. She thought it was the cows mooing. The night before she thought I was snoring and someone told her that it was the bucks rutting. Whatever that means.
Anyway, the alarm when off at 6am and even though the rain and wind had subsided, Mary and I decided that we didn’t want to walk in the dark. We woke up dad, told him to be packed and ready for breakfast at 7:30. AND he was ready and waiting at 7:20. His bags were packed and ready to go. How unusual.

Ronnie, the owner wore a different plaid pants each day we were there and they derved us a big breakfast. And even gave Dad a bite of clooie pudding that Marhe had made. I took a bite, it was good. It was like a light fruitcake. It needs to be boiled in a clootie (linen cloth for 3 hours).

Mike picked us up at 8am, and as we were driving out the driveway, we waved to the Bank worker who was out walking her young dog. I guess with only 3000 peoplethere would be a tendency to know everyone. We drove to Port Ellen where the malting for many of the distilleries. The sun was coming out as we were waiting for the boat to arrive. In front of us were people we had seen on tours and a guy who stayed with Mike. I have to add here that my father has discovered the handicapped bathrooms. He loves them. This is important information.


The boat ride was fun as the sun came out and the wind was minimal. Mary and I walked for a bit around the outside deck. It was still cold though. I am really glad to have a hat.

We arrived at Kennacraig around noon and then began our drive to Oban. First stop, was near the place we ate for lunch. I don’t remember the town, but there are two parts to it. The first road we drove down to look at the views was beautiful as we started down the road to the water. Mary suddenly said she saw a whale. I looked at her to make sure she wasn’t losing her mind. Then I looked out into the water and saw something big jumping out of the water. When we parked and got out Mike’s binoculars we saw that it was dolphins playing. I had never seen that in the wild. It was quite fun to watch.
Mary who is blind and on her blackberry most of the drive, suddenly sees dolphins! Amazing.
Then we went to lunch at the hotel Crinan. It was a quaint old hotel looking over the water owned by a local artist and her husband.
We had a great a

No comments:

Post a Comment