Sunday, October 11, 2009

Friday

We left Grantown on Spey at about 9:30 and started our journey south to St. Andrews. BUT first we had to go to Cousin Mary's house to say good bye. Mary was waiting at the window for us. Andrew looked like he just dragged himself from his bed.
We said our good byes. It was too short.

Dad has starting doing something really annoying that Mary pointed out to me. He points with his cane. Is there something wrong with his other hand? Mary told him we would start fining him. He told us we were being ridiculous, and then he saw a dog and pointed his cane at it. Whoops!

ANyway, we decided on the slow ride south. I wish I could remember all the great information and history that Mike gave us, but right now I am two days behind and I can't remember everything from day to day.
I wondered at one point if Mike was ready to strangle Dad..... asking him to pronounce and spell every town we went through... asking him about different cars.... telling the same stories... giving political speeches....
I think this was the day that Mom emailed us and told us about Obama winning the Peace Prize and not to tell dad until we had to.

Anyway, I was familiar with this road through the ski areas. There is a little stone house that looks abandoned that I love and tell everyone when I pass by it, that is my house. Actually what I am thinking is that it was my house in a previous life.

Mary and I made Mike stop at the Whiskey Museum shop where we got to sample some tastes from the owner. He lived in Utah for a time. He was hysterical. We have decided that Scots might be cheap, but they are so very friendly and funny.

Now that we were fortified at 10am, we could move on. We saw snow in the mountains... Mary was convinced that is was snowing when we were driving, but she was also convinced that she slept in the bed against the far wall the first night at Mrs. Glum's place.... she didn't, I did.

We drove south towards Pitlochy and stopped briefly at Edradour Distillery. They claim to be the smallest in Scotland. Maybe they were for a time, but we went to Kilchoman on Islay which is actually the smallest one.
On the way there, the road was very narrow and winding. I have had very little trouble with car sickness until this point.... then I had to have the window open and no one talking to me. Mike told me about a new device that cures motion sickness. I will try it sometimes.
Dad thinks it is Mary who gets motion sickness and always asks her if she is okay... not me. Hello!

After the distillery, we moved on to a small lunch place.. nothing to write about, except that it always takes double the time than we think it will be. I think I mentioned that he talks to every waitress and then disappears in his new favorite place "disabled toilets".

After lunch we headed into Pitlochy to find a Bank. Dad and Mary get out of the car and come right back. Dad went on and on for about the next 20 minutes about banks closing in the middle of the day. We went on towards St. Andrews via Dundee. If I were driving, I would have driven a longer way to avoid Dundee. I drove with Dad there in 1997 and there are a million roundabouts and signs that make no sense unless you already know your way around. I found myself in 1997 going round in circles. Finally, I saw a cop and did an illegal u-turn and told him... I was not moving the car until I knew how to get out of the town. He led me out of town.
I was glad Mike was driving and pointing out things that made it look like a friendly city.

Since this trip is all about getting in the car, going to meals and repacking... we just stayed in the car and kept driving.

On to St. Andrews. We arrived and were warmly greeted at our B&B by Mary and Stan. Dad got his ground floor room. This place is the best of all of them from my point of view. Mary and I have a spacious room and it has everything including an ipod station. Mary and Stan are so friendly and helpful. We made a reservation for dinner (can't forget hungry Dad) at the Glass House just down the street. No problems for Dad.
Oh I forgot on the way to the B&B, Dad announced that we needed to stop at the University store to get himself a sweater and Mom a sweatshirt. We got him a sweater... but not a sweatshirt for mom. We discovered there are NO sweatshirts without hoods in this town.

Now back to right after checking in. Dad was happy and excited to be able to walk to dinner. The funny thing is that they put us upstairs. I told him, it would be okay since there are rails on the stairs. It was a nice restaurant. Dad even ordered a non meat dish. I am enjoying fish most nights. Mary is enjoying her steak and lamb and wine.

Mary and I finally got for a walk that night making a list of things we needed to get and where we wanted to go the next day.
I must add that my dad's weight and hip are a real problem, but he has been more cheerful than I thought. We divert his rantings by asking him questions about school at St. Andrews. He actually has a lot of information and memory from being there in the mid 50s. He said he and the other students could play on the St. Andrew's courses for 2 pounds.

I feel sad as he wishes he could take walks with us especially here.
Next: Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment